Apply to NSF 21-509
The cluster supports fundamental research into the structure and dynamics of biomolecules. Research with a goal of elucidating and establishing the fundamental principles that underlie biomolecular interactions, regulation of biological function from the atomic to molecular levels, and biological organization is of interest to the cluster. Studies that utilize robust experimental and computational approaches in a synergistic fashion receive the highest priority. Proposals integrating not only techniques but merging ideas and approaches from other disciplines to tackle more complex biological problems are also welcome. The cluster strongly encourages studies under physiological conditions or those that mimic the native physiological environment. Research at the interface of the biological sciences with the physical, chemical, mathematical and engineering sciences is welcome. Proposals involving mechanistic biochemistry or those that involve the study of systems from which broad biological principles cannot be derived will be given lower priority.
Proposals in the following areas are particularly encouraged:
- Large scale computations that incorporate experimental constraints obtained using a variety of techniques ranging from NMR to high-resolution microscopies.
- Biomolecular dynamics studies on multiple timescales with a goal towards understanding their role in molecular recognition and function.
- Determination of structure, dynamics, assembly, and interactions of functional large macromolecular complexes.
- Understanding principles that permit life at the extremes.
- Emerging areas such as quantum phenomena in biological systems or using quantum devices to investigate biological problems.
The following NSF priorities might also be of interest to the Molecular Biophysics community
- NSF Big Ideas: Understanding Rules of Life, Quantum Leap, Navigating the New Artic and NSF Includes
- Industries of the Future: Biotechnology/Bioeconomy, Quantum Information Systems, Artificial Intelligence and Advanced Manufacturing.