The Division of Environmental Biology (DEB) Core supports research and training on evolutionary and ecological processes acting at the level of populations, species, communities, and ecosystems. DEB encourages research that elucidates fundamental principles that identify and explain the unity and diversity of life and its interactions with the environment over space and time. Research may incorporate field, laboratory, or collection-based approaches; observational or manipulative studies; synthesis activities; phylogenetic discovery projects; or theoretical approaches involving analytical, statistical, or computational modeling. Proposals should be submitted to the core clusters (Ecosystem Sciences, Evolutionary Processes, Population and Community Ecology, and Systematics and Biodiversity Sciences). DEB also encourages interdisciplinary proposals that cross conceptual boundaries and integrate over levels of biological organization or across multiple spatial and temporal scales. Research addressing ecology and ecosystem science in the marine biome should be directed to the Biological Oceanography Program in the Division of Ocean Sciences; research addressing evolution and systematics in the marine biome should be directed to the Evolutionary Processes or Systematics and Biodiversity Science programs in DEB.
All DEB programs also encourage proposals that leverage NSF-supported data networks, databases, centers, and other forms of scientific infrastructure, including but not limited to the National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON), Long-Term Ecological Research (LTER), Environmental Data Initiative (EDI), and Integrated Digitized Biocollections (iDigBio).
Updates and Announcements
General inquiries regarding this program should be made to:
- Ecosystem Science Cluster, http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=503663&org=DEB&from=home
- Evolutionary Processes Cluster, http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=503664&org=DEB&from=home
- Population and Community Ecology Cluster, http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=503665&org=DEB&from=home
- Systematics and Biodiversity Science, http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=503666&org=DEB&from=home
Inquiries regarding U.K.-Collaborative proposals (NSFDEB-NERC) should be made to:
- For questions related to NERC led submissions email: email@example.com
- For questions related to DEB led submissions email: NSFDEB-NERC@nsf.gov
Inquiries regarding Israeli-Collaborative proposals (NSFDEB-BSF) should be made to:
Division of Environmental Biology