About this event
The Advisory Committee for NSF's Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences Directorate meets twice yearly to provide advice, recommendations and oversight to the directorate concerning support for research, education and human resources. The meeting is open, and members of the public are welcome to attend as observers.
The spring meeting will be held online on May 20 from 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. Eastern time.
Registration is required to attend. The event will be held on Zoom and live captions will be available.
- Zoom webinar registration
- Real-time captions will be displayed in Zoom during the event. Click the "closed caption" button in Zoom if you do not see the captions.
If you require additional reasonable accommodations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 6.
To learn more about the role of SBE's advisory committee, visit the Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences (SBE) Advisory Committee page.
Advisory Committee Meeting Agenda, May 20, 2022
All times Eastern.
11:00 – 11:15 p.m.
Welcome, Introductions, Approval of Previous AC Meeting Summary, Preview of Agenda
Dr. Dominique Brossard, Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison, AC Chair
11:15 – 12:15 p.m.
SBE Directorate Update
- Staffing Announcements and SBE Budget Update: Dr. Kellina Craig Henderson, Acting Assistant Director (AD), SBE
- Recent SBE Funding Opportunities and Program Updates
- Build and Broaden: Dr. Eve Boyle, AAAS Fellow, SBE
- Strengthening American Infrastructure: Dr. Steve Breckler, Acting Deputy Division Director (DDD) Division of Behavioral & Cognitive Sciences
- Incorporating Human Behavior in Epidemiological Models (IHBEM): Dr. Joseph Whitmeyer, SBE
- Trans-Atlantic Platform Recovery, Renewal, and Resilience in a Post-Pandemic World (T-AP RRR): Dr. Kwabena Gyimah-Brempong, SBE
12:15 – 12:45 p.m.
NCSES Organizational Realignment and Updates: Dr. Vipin Arora, DDD, National Center for Science and Engineering Statistics
12:45 – 1:05 p.m.
NSF 2022-2026 Strategic Plan: Dr. Steve Meacham, Office of Integrative Activities
1:05 – 1:20 p.m.
Advisory Committee for Environmental Research and Education (AC-ERE) Update: Dr. Robin Leichenko, Rutgers University, SBE AC-ERE Liaison
1:20 – 1:30 p.m.
1:30 – 2:00 p.m.
Open Discussion, Prepare for Meeting with NSF Leadership: SBE AC Members
2:00 – 2:30 p.m.
Meeting with NSF Leadership: Dr. Sethuraman Panchanathan, NSF Director, and Dr. Karen Marrongelle, NSF Chief Operating Officer
2:30 – 4:10 p.m.
SBE Visioning Exercise: SBE AC Members
Future Directions, Directorate Structure, and New Research Areas with Break-out Group Reports to AC
- Is “Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences (SBE)” the best name for the Directorate?
- Should SBE’s programs be bounded along disciplinary lines or by research cluster (or theme)?
- Are there areas of research represented in SBE currently that are no longer a priority?
- What are the opportunities and challenges for the SBE sciences to establish and nurture relevant to partnerships outside of NSF?
- Breakout Room #1: Hosted in the main Zoom session
- Breakout Room #2: Link to join Zoom Breakout #2
- Breakout Room #3: Link to join Zoom Breakout #3
4:10 – 4:40 p.m.
New AC Member Presentation: Dr. Robin Leichenko, Rutgers University